Though we have been trying to introduce healthier meals to our family, there are times that we enjoy a Junk Food Night for dinner. We enjoy these nights in moderation, and they are always fun to eat. When we do tuck into these meals, there is usually one side dish my other half and I make that is heavily anticipated over anything else: Homemade French Fries.
Since my other half first tried his hand at them, we all have become HUGE fans! Curious to see how easy these tasty treasures are to cook? Take a look below to find out!
- 4 large Russet potatoes (other potatoes will work as well, but Russets are the best)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp salt (extra salt may be used for seasoning after cooking)
- Wash and chop potatoes to desired thickness. We like our about an inch thick. Fill a bowl ¾ of the way full of water, add salt to the water and stir to make a salt-water mixture.
2. Add potatoes to the bowl so they can soak in the salt water.
3. Pour oil into a frying pan and heat to medium-high temperature.
4. Once the oil is heated, add half of the chopped potatoes gently into the pan making sure they are all laying on the bottom of the pan.
5. Flip fries over when they start to turn a golden brown to cook on the other side.
6. Once cooked on both sides, drain excess oil using a sieve or strainer.
7. Extra salt or other preferred seasoning may be used to flavour fries.
Repeat these steps with the remainder of the chopped potatoes until all of them have been cooked.
I dressed up my fries by placing them inside of a parchment-lined super-sized mug. These golden-brown gems are the perfect side to go along with homemade burgers, pulled pork, or batter-fried cod. Whenever my other half or I cook these fries, we are always sad when they are all gone! They are so easy to cook and are so delicious to eat. These French Fries are truly a family favourite! Try them out for yourself and enjoy!
Until my next post, Readers!